Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Life of Faith


My favorite book series is the A Life of Faith series. It is published by Mission City Press who updated the original books that were written by Martha Finley in the 1800's. They also have a website, www.alof.com .

There are eight books for each of the three characters. The characters are Elsie Dinsmore, Millie Keith, and Violet Travilla. Elsie is Millie’s cousin and Violet’s mom. The books start with them as children and then they grow through the books until they are in their 20's. Each individual series (Elsie, Millie, or Violet) can be read separately from another series.



They have recently introduced two new series. The Laylie Colbert and Kathleen McKenzie series. These are not written by Martha Finley but they are still very good!

The Life of Faith books are uplifting, clean, and funny. I could go on...and on...about the books because I like them so much. However, I think I should share with you a pretend letter I wrote to Martha Finley (who has now gone on to be with the Lord), because it shows what I like about the Millie Keith series.

Here is the letter (I wrote it about a year ago):

Dear Mrs. Martha Finley,

I have read all of the Millie Keith books in the "A Life of Faith" series. Reading your books made me desire to grow closer to God. It made reading the Bible seem an exciting and rewarding thing to do, instead of something that I have to do. It also made me want to be more loving and kind towards my brothers, and respectful and obedient to my parents.

I think it is really neat that you start each chapter with a Bible verse that is relevant to the chapter. I have shared these books with my friends and they love them, too.
I really like the fact that Millie asked God to keep her heart for her and to only give it to the right man when/if the time came. She did not kiss or do anything else that was not appropriate, but stayed pure and waited for the time when she would get married if that was God’s will for her.

Millie was the oldest child and sometimes she was frustrated or upset with her younger siblings but she prayed to God to help her become more patient. I am also the oldest child in my family and I want to be more patient with my younger brothers as well. I want to be gentle and kind and yet be bold and strong in my faith, just like Millie.


Your books show that a strong faith in God and good moral character are much more important than money or things. I completely agree with that! I think it is great that Millie’s Bible was her most prized possession. It is so wonderful to read books that value and promote purity and godliness in young women.
Thank you so much for writing books that encourage people to live for God!

No comments:

LinkWithin