Saturday, October 11, 2008

International Frugal Fun Day

The first Saturday of October was International Frugal Fun Day. Children in developing countries are experts at having fun without spending money! Boys make cars out of anything that is available (wood, metal, etc.). Girls make dolls out of anything that is available (cloth, grass, mud, etc.). Why not try making a doll or a car with the things you find in your yard (or in your house)? They also play soccer (if you donʼt have a soccer ball, you can make one out of whateverʼs handy), hopscotch (all you need is a stick/chalk and a rock), jacks (you can use pebbles), marbles (homemade--i.e.: Clay), checkers (homemade--i.e.: bottle caps), and jump rope (all you need is a rope).

Here are some other fun things you can do without spending money.
Active games:
-Tag (there are many variations)
-Races
-Hide nʼ seek
-Treasure/scavenger hunt
-Statues
-Blindmanʼs bluff
-Cat in the Corner
-Make up your own game!

Miscellaneous:
-Invent/build something (preferably something useful)
-Identify different birds (or other animals)
-Pretend to be in a different time era
-Write and act out your own play
-Take a walk/hike
-Fly a kite (if you donʼt have a kite, you can make one)
-Cook/bake
-Read/tell stories
-Beach combing

For some more ideas, just think about (or research) what kids did in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries!

I believe it is wonderful to be frugal and a wise steward of Godʼs resources.

"He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much." Luke 16:10

Have fun frugally!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be wonderful if children always kept themsevles busy with nature. Insead of TV, video games, computers, & money spent things. GOOD article, Miss Alyssa!
Rachel

Angie said...

Recipes for good wholesome fun. I agree completely!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Recently I made some "cornhusk" dolls. They are made from palm fronds. Here is the link to one of the pictures we took:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u202/6diamondsintherough/P1080614.jpg
The only thing I used that wasn't from out side was a clothes pin, and some glue. We haven't played with them yet because we are afraid they might snap in too but they are fun to look at!

Amy

Lesley Peck said...

LOL This post made me think about the games my sister and I created when we were young. We use to play outside and have a "restaurant" and serve tacos...we'd use big leaves for the wrap, dirt for the meat, and grass for the lettuce. So inventive! :) I'm just surprised we never tried to eat it.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is so neat I'll have to try some of that!
Hannah Banana

Anonymous said...

I looked at the pictue of the corn-husk doll you made, Amy. That is neat! :)
Rachel W.

LinkWithin