Friday, October 31, 2008

Australia: For that I’m Thankful

by Miss Jessica

Saying “thank you” is a simple but extraordinarily powerful thing to do.
– Kevin Rudd, Prime Minister of Australia

I am aware that in America, people celebrate the settler’s first years in America and all they were thankful for. In Australia, we have a new yet similar tradition in May each year: National Day of Thanksgiving. We don’t eat the turkey and cranberries on a frosty fall evening with all the family, true; but, once a year during the month of May, we encourage all Australians, no matter what culture or belief, to gather together and simply say thank you to somebody. Whether it be our Mum or Dad, brother or sister; people who look after our communities’ welfare (spiritual, mental or physical) or the government and ministries who pour so much energy into making our lives better. Saying thank you is like giving others a taste of God’s love – the most powerful thing on earth.

I am thankful for Australia. I’m thankful for Australia’s Christian Heritage. Many of our ancestors were convicts, but significant leaders and explorers had a relationship with Jesus Christ; such as Captain James Cook and Charles Sturt. It was those men, along with many others, who established our country. And for that I’m thankful.

Because National Day of Thanksgiving is still something new in Australia, traditions haven’t really sunk in; however, barbeques is always a winner in Australia.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/ggmeditor/missjessica.png

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know about national thanksgiving day! I thought it was a church thing. That shows how new it is. You did a great job with your article, Jess! I especially like the quote at the top.

Fellow Aussie (do you ever feel like the only one??),
Hayley

Sisterlisa said...

Miss Jessica,
Thank you for sharing about how you celebrate thankfulness down under. We look forward to reading more from you!

LinkWithin