Monday, October 20, 2008

Disobedience: Others Suffer With Us

Jonah 1:2, "Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me."
Jonah 1:3, "But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD."

In those verses it shows you that Jonah disobeyed. Now I will show you his punishment.
Jonah 1:10, "Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him. Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them."
Jonah 1:11, "Then said they unto him, What shall we do unto thee, that the sea may be calm unto us? for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous."
Jonah 1:12, "And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you. "
Jonah 1:13, "Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous against them."
Jonah 1:14, "Wherefore they cried unto the LORD, and said, We beseech thee, O LORD, we beseech thee, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood: for thou, O LORD, hast done as it pleased thee."
Jonah 1:15, "So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging."
Jonah 1:16, "Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the LORD, and made vows".
Jonah 1:17, "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights."

Now it's not like God is going to have us get swallowed by a big fish or something, but he will punish us if we do not obey. By the way, you can’t hide from God! That was a wrong decision for Jonah. God knew where he was anyway.

The people on the ship had to suffer also because of Jonah’s decision. If you do something wrong or make a wrong decision, other people will suffer to. He made a wrong decision and God sent a storm and the men on the ship would have died if Jonah did not confess. Jonah realized that he was causing them to suffer for his disobedience. He finally confessed and the storm stopped, but Jonah’s wrong decision now caused him to suffer alone in the bottom of the sea in the belly of a big fish for 3 days and 3 nights.

As we can see, God WILL punish us no matter what, and if you disobey Him others will suffer and so will you! So let’s not disobey shall we!! We cannot hide from God, nor disobey Him, He will punish deeply for it.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post! One thing that I didn't agree with was the sentence, "So let's not disobey, shall we!!" Of course we must try our best to obey God, but I think we should also remember that God is the One who makes us to obey. By ourselves, we can't, but through Him, all things are possible. We must pray and ask Him to help us do His will.

Wishing you His blessings,
Miss Heidi

Jacque Dixon said...

You have a gift, Miss Monica. You are very good at telling just what needs to be said in truth and an encouraging way.
Thank you for sharing this with us!
blessings!

Sisterlisa said...

My Sweet Moni,

You did a marvelous job with this devotion. I know you've been studying obedience for quite a while now and I see the benefits of it. I've been studying obedience as well. God blesses us when we obey. Keep writing your devotions honey.

Growing In Grace Magazine said...

Miss Heidi, while I do understand that what you're trying to say is that through Christ all things are possible and we can please him as we obey. We may not BE perfect, but God does ask us to be. Although we 'try', I believe we can do better than just 'trying'. Ask yourself these questions?
Can I avoid drinking alcohol?
Can I avoid using profanity?
Can I avoid doing drugs?
Then we can avoid other areas of sin as well. If we set our standard higher then when we do make a mistake it's not as far downhill as when we don't have a higher standard.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see someone willing to touch on a touchy subject. Obedience can be tough, but Miss Heidi is right, with God ALL things are possible and if we ask Him, God will help us do His will.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Miss Monica June!
What meaning and importance...
-I wish all America would read it!-
Rachel W.

LinkWithin