Sunday, June 22, 2008

In Good Faith: My Busy Week

Good morning ladies! It's Sunday morning and I'll be preparing my family for church over the next few hours, but wanted to say hello before we go. This last week sure has been a busy one for us. Lady Jess and Miss Monica June just got back from a youth conference and had a great time. I'm sure they'll be blogging about it soon on their own sites.

In the midst of them coming home, my husband's ministry had an immediate need for their women's home and I was asked to step up to the plate. Our family will now be assisting some women in getting their lives put back together so that they can reunite with their own families soon. On top of that I myself attended a Women's Extravaganza yesterday. I just love getting all that extra teaching from women on how to be a Christian lady, a wife, and a mother.

This last week I have been thinking about our In Good Faith posts that help us to reflect upon our week and plan for the week ahead. I memorized a new verse this week and had to work diligently on it, since the memory doesn't work as good when you get older. Miss Virginia and I worked on memorizing Philippians 4:8, "Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever tings are of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (KJV)

Have you memorized any new verses from God's Word this week?

God gave me so much to accomplish in helping other people this week, so much more than usual. I did try to call my mom to say hello, but she wasn't home. I shared my faith with the ladies at our women's home as I taught them a Bible study on Thursday night and I invited a lady from the dentist office to church, I'm avoiding ungodly influences and ceased from watching a TV show that I know isn't edifying to my spirit.

My heart struggled with some resentment yesterday and I gave that to the Lord in prayer. I showed an act of kindness to someone this week and even helped an elderly lady by giving her a ride home yesterday. This has been a better week for me and I'm thankful that I got to be used by the Lord in so many areas.

I'm not perfect by any means, and I still feel like I didn't do enough this week to help others, but it's just what God gave me to do. I heard a story yesterday that helped me to put this into perspective.

A man was walking along an enjoying his fellowship with the Lord, when He said to them man, "I have a barrel of 3 stones that I need you to take to the top of the hill for me. It must get there before sunset, can you do that for me please?" The man was so honored and excited to do something for the Lord and so on he went. As he was walking up this hill and enjoying his walk, he came across another man who seemed a bit tired. He stopped to check on the man and asked if there was anything he could do to help. The man was so relieved to hear his offer and informed him that he had 6 stones that he needed to get to the top of the hill and was just too tired to continue. So the man offered to add the 6 stones to his load.

He continue on up the hill now with 9 stones and as he came to another small village he ran into another man he knew well. This man also had a difficulty and told the man that he too had several stones he needed to take up the hill and so he again offered to assist. He continued on up the hill and became sore and tried. He hadn't quite reached the top of the hill yet and he prayed to the Lord, "God I'm just too tired. I can't possibly get all the way to the top before midnight." The Lord replied, "All I asked of you was to deliver 3 stones. If you will do just what I asked you to do and allow the other men to do what I asked them to do, then you will do just fine." So the man unloaded the extra stones and continued on his way with just the 3 that the Lord gave him and he felt like the load was now much lighter than when he first began with it. He reached the top of the hill and knew he had done well for the Lord.

Sometimes we take on more than what God really wants us to do. There are times when we can reach out and help a needy sister in the Lord, but there are also times when the Lord wants them to accomplish their goal with just His help. As we each trust in the Lord for the things that He has given to us, we become stronger and He can then give us more to bear. But it takes time to build that kind of muscle. ;O) Always pray before taking on a new responsibility and seek the wisdom of your parents before doing so. I know my girls are the kind to volunteer quickly when they know there's a need. They're so much like me. We must always pray about what God would have us to do, just because something is good to do doesn't mean we are required to do it all.

I hope this has been a blessing and an encouragement to you. I hope you can take a look back through your week and see how you did in your walk with the Lord. Then pray about what He can show you in the week to come.

1. I had personal devotions this week: 3 days 5 days 7 days other

2. I memorized a God's word this week: 2 verses 4 verses 6 verses other

3. I helped mom or dad this week in an area that wasn't already a previous responsibility.

4. I attended our spiritual service this week:

5. I shared my faith with someone this week by speaking of our Lord with someone new.

6. I am avoiding bitterness in my heart towards someone right now. True or false

7. I am avoiding wrong influences such as ungodly T.V, music, or friends, etc.

8. In a clear conscience I know my heart is right with my parents.

9. I showed an act of kindness/service to my siblings this week.

10. I offered help to the needy this week. Ex: an elderly person, a sick person, the homeless, etc.

4 comments:

Jacque Dixon said...

What an encouraging article, Sisterlisa. Thank you.
You touched on so many topics that I know I need to keep ever before my eyes. I like the journal format too.

Glad to say we are off the road, not so happy we are back in mosquito country.... :) But, as God tells us, we will go... or stay!

Blessings, my dear friend!

Anonymous said...

I love your articles Sister Lisa!
I love talkivg about God so much.
I can't wait till God makes a new world and that only christians and
god will be on EARTH!


Love,
Sister Sarah

Mama Fry said...

Very inspiring, I enjoyed this article :) and congrats on 'stepping up to the plate' I know you will be a wonderful mentor for these ladies like you are to me!!

CalvaryGirl said...

Great article, Sis! I needed this-
"Sometimes we take on more than what God really wants us to do. There are times when we can reach out and help a needy sister in the Lord, but there are also times when the Lord wants them to accomplish their goal with just His help."

Hope you're having a great week :o)

LinkWithin