Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Someone Is Watching Me

There was a time when I thought someone was watching me. It made me feel uncomfortable to think that someone is staring at me, watching my every move. What will the girls think of me if I make a wrong facial expression? What if they think I’m giving them ‘dirty looks’? Growing up in a public high school in Los Angeles was scary at times.

Fast forward to today and I’m in church, still feeling like all eyes are on me and I wonder if I am accepted? I didn’t grow up in a Christian home and I often have felt out of the loop with the other Christian girls. What will they think of me? Will they accept me? I didn’t want them knowing the past that I had once lived.

I wonder if that’s how the woman at the well felt. As I read through that passage of scripture I learn that she must have felt that way. When Jesus asked her for some water she said,

“...How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.” in John chapter 4:9 (KJV)

She had an idea set in her mind that she would not be accepted because of where she was from. Although Jesus knew all about her, and even told her so in verses 17 and 18, he still accepted her. He offered her living water, even though he knew how she was living in her life.

Although I know how God feels about me those questions still come up in my mind. Do the other ladies accept me? What do the girls talk about when I’m not around? Why is it that certain friends never invite me over? Is there something wrong with me or my family? Maybe if I get my hair cut differently, wear different clothes, or buy them gifts, maybe then they would accept me.

Keeping up a reputation like that can become hard work, but why do we worry about what others think of our lives? In one instance I do want to be accepted by others, yet I don’t want to have an attitude of, “Well they better get used to who I am.”

We all have areas of our lives that need improvement, but it’s what God thinks that is the most important. If we live to please the Lord in all we say and do, then what others think isn’t the most important factor I our lives.

1 Samuel 16:7b, “…for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.” (KJV)

“When I keep my eyes on Jesus, right living happens.” ~ C.D. Baker

Have you ever had a time when you didn’t feel accepted? How does this make you feel?


Don't forget to send in your submission for Pet of the Month.

3 comments:

MJ said...

People stare at me all the time.At first I feel like the women at the well. If I mess up on something, they stare at me. But I get over it.After that i feel like those people will just have to get used to it.Thank-you Sisterlisa

Miss Virginia said...

I love this website because I learn about God.

Anonymous said...

Boy, did I feel the same way going to a Catholic grade school. Then, when I went to public school for the first time, I still felt like I didn't belong. I finally had my circle of friends, but I went through high school feeling like I was being stared at too.

And, as an adult, I think we are just "us". I am just me. I have told the girls so many times that you don't just grow up one day. You know, like you turn 18, and it isn't a magical age to all of a sudden mature. I think we are always who we are, even as we age and mature.

So, why do we feel this way? Why doesn't so-n-so like me? I have found that sometimes it is my personality and theirs; they just clash. Sometimes it is because the other person is insecure in themselves.

It is a sad thing that we cannot all get along. I think we can all get along and love each other, if we don't have expectations, and we understand that we are not always going to click and be great friends with everyone. Sometimes, being an acquaintance is right where we need to stay. I had to just get used to the fact that I need to do what is right by God. Period. Do not offend, but do what God expects.
Sometimes, when we do what God desires of us, we do offend. When that happens, it is for Him to take up for us. And, He does. We just have to walk humbly, and that is what is hard sometimes.

We can still love. But, boy, I do wonder about the woman at the well. I remember feeling that way. I do *not* want to make others feel that way. That sure feels awful.

This was a very thought-provoking devotional. thanks!
blessings~
Mrs. D

LinkWithin