
A young lady arrived in Sunday School a few minutes early in hopes of finding an empty seat next to her friend. She truly wanted to sit with her and enjoy the lesson side by side. Upon entering the room, as she slowly peered over the rows she did indeed find her friend's Bible and purse placed on a chair next to an empty seat. She excitedly placed her own sparkling blue covered Bible and her handbag in the front row right alongside her friend's chair. In the second row just behind them sat a few other girls she knew and she happily greeted them with a friendly hello.

A few moments later, her friend came strolling by, only she did not look too cheerful. She glared at the blue Bible accompanied by the handbag and snapped at the young girl, "What is YOUR stuff doing there? I was saving that seat for someone else!"
Confused and with dashed hopes the young girl frowned and cautiously extended her sincerest apology, "I am so sorry, I just wanted to sit with you. I didn't know you were saving the seat for anyone. There wasn't anything on the chair and I was so happy to be able to find a chair next to you." The young girl's sincere apology made no difference to the angry friend as she replied with haste, "Well SOMEONE should have TOLD you!"
She turned to the row of girls behind her and snapped, "You should have told her!" Much to their amazement they matter of factly responded with the only truth they knew as they unanimously said, "We didn't know you were saving the seat."
Meanwhile a few other girls entered the room and the perturbed friend critically expressed to them in that same harsh voice, "You'll HAVE to sit by her!" As she rolled her eyes and let our a deep sigh, one of the girls did sit by the young girl and began a pleasant conversation, making it obvious that she paid no attention to this angry female.
As the young girl went home after church to discuss this with her mother, her heart was heavy with pain and confusion. Her once gleeful countenance had been stained with utter devistation. She felt as though her heart would die.

You may have heard it said before, "It's a matter of life and death." That's exactly what happens to the spirit when we wield our untamed tongue on of the ear and soul of a fellow human being. Be cautious of your tongue ladies, for you never know how damaging your words can be.
Proverbs 18:21, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." (KJV)
3 comments:
Oh, yes! I know from personal experience how hurtful angry words can be. I realize how much nicer things would be if I spoke softly and lovingly. Thank you for the reminder!
Eyebright
Thank you Eyebright. The message was just as much for me as anyone else.
We can't be reminded of this too much. Thanks, Sisterlisa.
Post a Comment