Tuesday, July 28, 2009

5 Ways to Rehydrate!

by Sisterlisa

The summer months are especially dry and hot which leads to a higher chance of becoming dehydrated. When your body needs water you may suffer from one or more of the following symptoms:

-dry skin
-dry mouth/thirst
-headaches
-dry itchy eyes
-drowsiness
-cheeks flushing (red cheeks)



1. These are just some of the beginning symptoms and must be taken care of immediately. Just because you feel a thirst come upon you doesn't mean you should grab a soda pop or other beverage, water is the best! If you have been outdoors and are not drinking enough water you can drink an electrolyte water such as Propel, which comes in different flavors.

2. Something that Lady Jess' dad likes to do is take a water bottle and drink some of the water out, then add ice cubes and he takes hat with him during the day. Most fast food places and mini-mart gas stations will allow you to refill with water and ice for free or for a small charge.

3. If you have a refillable sports bottle for water you can fill it with ice cubes and by the time you need to drink it, it would be half melted and still half full with ice cubes, iced water instantly to grab and use to hydrate your thirst.


4. We need to learn to keep our bodies hydrated throughout the day, but we should really get started first thing in the morning. If you're a morning coffee or tea drinker it would be wise to begin with a glass of water while your drink is brewing. This gives your fasting kidneys a chance to begin afresh with what is natural to them, water. If you sit at a computer most of the day you can keep a cup of water handy and refill as necessary. I enjoy sipping coffee in the mornings, but when I keep a mug for water in it's place I can stay hydrated by sipping water all day instead.

5. If water is boring for you as it is, try adding a spritz of lemon or orange to your water and toss a small slice of the citrus into the glass.


Sisterlisa is the owner and Editor-in-Chief of Growing in Grace Magazine and owner of AGMinistries, a devotion blog for women. She is married and homeschools her four children while remaining active in serving the Lord in her community.






3 comments:

Hayley said...

We live in a climate that is hot most of the time and I carry a water bottle with me everywhere. whether it's to the computer or to a gymnastics session or to bed. My water bottle is generally within arm's reach so that I can have a drink the moment I feel thirsty. I do this because I quite often get headaches if I don't drink enough water.

Lady Jess said...

Yes, you have been drinking more water. I'm proud of you:)

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

My water drinking habit needs to be more consistent. I would go for months doing well and then for months not doing so well. Water is so necessary.

LinkWithin