Wednesday, December 31, 2008

National Eye Health Care Month

by SisterAngie

Perhaps you have heard your grandmother tell you to take care of your eyes because they are the only pair you have. During this month of national recognition for eye care, here are some tips that will help you keep your eyes healthy.

1. Eating orange and green foods are usually good for your eyes because they contain vitamin A, which is known to be good for eye health.
2. Wear UV protective sunglasses. Long exposure to UV rays can harm your eyesight.
3. Wear eye protection when working with chemicals or projects that would cause flying debris.
4. If you wear contact lenses, avoid wearing them for more than 12 hours. This can cause damage in addition to discomfort.
5. Be cautious using eye drops to reduce redness. Continued and daily usage can actually make the problem worse.
6. Press cold cucumber slices gently against eyes to prevent puffiness.
7. Too much time looking at a computer screen can cause eye strain.

On a personal note, about a year ago, I was experiencing blurry vision, recurring headaches, and eye twitching. These symptoms prompted me to see an optometrist. After a thorough examination, sure enough, the doctor could not believe I had gone so long without glasses.


I recall when she slipped the magical lens in front of my eyes how the letters before me came into focus. Even the white background behind the letters was illuminated, turning from gray to bright white. How had I endured this fuzzy focus for so many years? It seemed so normal to me.

On the way home from the clinic where I finally picked up my glasses, the best way I know to describe my new vision is to say that all of a sudden things had a high definition quality about them. There was a new depth to my eyesight. No longer did I see just a tree along side of the road. I could also see the detail of leaves.


This made me question. How are my spiritual eyes lacking? In what areas am I walking in darkness and do not even realize it?

Oh Lord, with the psalmist, I ask, open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law (Ps 119:18). I want to see the world through the lens of your word, my spiritual vision illuminated and magnified by faith!
Photobucket
Sister Angie is her husband’s ' help meet' and mother of two wonderful children. Her life’s mission is to serve and help others by encouraging, exhorting with God’s truth, and interceding on behalf of the saints and the lost. She can be found at Sonflower and as a moderator/contributor at Growing in Grace.

2 comments:

Sisterlisa said...

Excellent devotion and application of educational study regarding vision. I love learning God's Word from an academic standpoint. God is so good! You're a fabulous teach Sister Angie! Your children are so blessed to have you for their mom! Yes we often become too accustomed to our lives that we don't realize how blurry our spiritual vision really is.

Youreyesite said...

Adding powerful antioxidants to your diet can improve your eye health.

There’s no substitute for the quality of life good vision offers. Adding certain nutrients to your diet every day – either through foods or supplements – can help save your vision. Researchers have linked eye-friendly nutrients such as lutein/zeaxanthin, vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc to reducing the risk of certain eye diseases, including macular degeneration and cataract formation. Source: AOA

LinkWithin