There are many different hobbies people enjoy. Some of the "common" ones that come to mind are various collecting hobbies (i.e. stamp collecting, coin collecting, etc.) I believe we should examine our hobbies to see if they honor God and are worth putting our time and money into.
I thought the definition of "hobby" in Noah Websterʼs 1828 dictionary was interesting.
HOB'BY, n. A kind of hawk; a hawk of the lure.We usually think of the third definition when we think of hobby. Before we pursue something with zeal or delight, letʼs pray about it and examine it.
HOB'BY, n.
1. A strong active horse, of a middle size, said to have been originally from Ireland; a nag; a pacing horse; a garran.
2. A stick, or figure of a horse, on which boys ride.
3. Any favorite object; that which a person pursues with zeal or delight.
4. A stupid fellow.
Does it glorify God? Is it useful? Does it further Godʼs kingdom? Is it beneficial? What do my parents think about it?
"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." 1 Corinthians 10:23In my opinion, some of the worthwhile hobbies are:
1. Study the Bible in depth and memorize Bible verses (Of course, we should already be reading the Bible daily)
2. Make music to praise and honor the Lord by singing, composing, and/or playing an instrument(s)
3. Learn practical skills (baking/cooking, gardening, sewing, knitting, crocheting, quilting, etc.)
4. Develop your God-given talents (i.e. drawing, painting, writing, photography, woodworking, etc.)
5. Read God-honoring books.
What do you think an example of a "good" or "worthy" hobby would be? What about the opposite? Please comment and share your ideas and hobbies.

Miss Alyssa, a 15 year old homeschooler, is interested in writing and film-making for the glory of God and the furtherance of His Kingdom. She is passionate about reaching the unreached with the Gospel. She blogs at One Nation Under GOD.


3 comments:
Interesting. I wouldn't define Biblical study as a hobby (that's more of a spiritual discipline in my mind), nor gaining practical skills (that's education/learning). But I completely agree that music creation and developing other talents can be great hobbies!
I love writing as a hobby, and blogging is one of the many ways I do that [smile].
May you find joy in what you do, whether it's a hobby, a discipline, a practice or whatever [smile].
~Luke
Miss Alyssa, I like that you added in depth Bible study as a hobby. I suppose people call blogging a hobby yet when one does so through blogging about the Bible then the Bible study is a hobby. I blog and I blog about what God shows me in His word. As your definition states, "3. Any favorite object; that which a person pursues with zeal or delight."
Creating this magazine may be viewed by some as a hobby, yet to me it is our lifestyle and our homeschool in many ways. It is honoring to the Lord. :O)
I do enjoy scrap booking and card making and it does honor the Lord when my girls and I scrapbook together it is a good time to fellowship and be creative together with our family photos.I use the cards to send note of encouragement to others. I also enjoy graphic designing. Creating graphics is a hobby of mine and I guess since I use them for this magazine it is Christ honoring. ;O)
Sisterlisa
I find that keeping a journal is a great worthwhile hobby.
Post a Comment