Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Beauty Planner: Clarifying the Hair




We know there are several great uses for baking soda and you'll be reading more about them in upcoming Beauty Planner articles. However this one was discovered as a fluke as we tried to find something to rid hair of product build up and dandruff. While I am sure someone already knew this fact, it was new to us and worked GREAT!

For hair with dandruff or product build up we parted the dry hair in several places and sprinkled Baking Soda in each part and gently massaged the area with a brush. Be sure the brush you choose has the smooth round ball tips so you don't scrape your head. Brush through the entire head and down the hair once you have massaged well. The baking soda will also absorb oil from your hair.

Add your clarifying shampoo (We use Melaleuca's Clarifying Shampoo) to the dry hair and massage gently while rinsing with warm water then shower and rinse well. Use cool water with your final rinse, not hot. Hot water is damaging to your hair and may make it frizz.

What we noticed about their hair was that the oil, build up, and dandruff was all gone. In addition to that their sandy blonde hair now seemed blonder. We don't think it necessarily lightened their hair, but rather it was SO clean now that the light strands of blonde shone through. We decided this clarifying treatment would be done regularly.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

DD is 8 and even though she never uses any hair products she does have dandruff and buildup. We use baking soda for lots of things but I didn't know about this, we are definitely going to try it out! Thanks so much for a great tip!

Briana C. Price said...

This is so cool! I have been looking for a natural way to rid my head of dandruff and I am really looking forward to trying this one.
Briana

Anonymous said...

That is neat! I'll have to try that. My sister and I use gel and my sister has dandruff. We'll have to try that! Thanks for the tip! :o)

Hannah

Anonymous said...

Wow! This sounds like a great idea..I really like to go natural. This sounds like a good idea. Naturally our hair will be healthier if we use natural products. Just something else I learned too is for curly heads (like me) about a tablespoon or so of lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best) mixed with your conditioner is very clarifying. :D (Mostly want to use this if you don't use shampoo often, as it is best for curly hair to not use too much shampoo. Learn more at ylcf.org and click on got curl? under the learn catagory!)

Thanks again!
Because of Grace,
Maiden Princess

LinkWithin