Sunday, November 30, 2008

Remote ConTroll: The Season's Shows

by Lady Jess

Wow, the cultural Christmas season is upon us and I see new holiday movies everywhere. But, they are not all family friendly. My, how movies have changed over the years! There is a definite difference between shows like 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' and 'A Christmas Story'. If Christmas is 'supposed to be' about the Messiah's birth, then why do we allow such awful humor and profane language in movies about it?

I enjoy watching 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' because when all of the kids and the animals get caught up in the material of the season, with the lights and the tree and everything, Linus sets everyone straight on the real meaning of Christ's birth. It is about the Lord and his birth in the stable manger with all of the animals and the angels.

We want to be careful not to fill our family's minds with materialism. We want to be sure that they know what the true meaning of Christ's birth really is. This year our family cleaned out our 'Christmas' films. We are taking steps to take out parts of this world's 'culture' of Christmas.

I would suggest you try 'The Nativity Story'. Although there are some parts I don't agree with scripturally, it is a nice film that brings honor to the birth of Christ rather than to stockings being hung by the chimney for ol' Saint Nick. Please be sure that the simplicity and godliness of the birth of Christ is upheld.

Lady Jess is a teen lady who is homeschooled along with her siblings. She assists her mother in teaching her younger siblings, is an interpreter in her church's deaf ministry, sings in the choir, and is the Toys for Tots Assistant in her county.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The nativity story is my favourite holiday movie. I went to see once with my youth group.

Savannah Nichole said...

The Nativity Story is by far my favorite movie! I was so surprised when I saw that is was really about Jesu's birth. I would have never expected it to be so good.

LinkWithin