Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Family Thanksgiving

by Lady Jess

A few years ago a dear friend to our family went to heaven. We had had him over to our PhotobucketThanksgiving dinner just a few weeks before his death. As I found out about this, I turned to my dad and told him that I wanted to have people over, who didn't have any family, every year at Thanksgiving. We have been doing that ever since. I enjoy it so much. All of our family lives so far away that, we sort of adopt different people every year, whose family is not alive, or is also too far away.

Fall Leaves Border 08Fall Leaves Border 08

Last year we had over a dear sweet elderly lady that is deaf. Our family kinda adopted her as a grandma several years ago and we hope to have her over again this year. Do you have a neighbor that your parents can invite over for dinner? How about an elderly widow from your church? Our family saw the need to invite over people who don't have anyone, but maybe the people you know feel uncomfortable coming over. For them you can take a hot plate of food over to them with some flowers. Maybe you can think about anonymously delivering a turkey and a box of groceries to a needy family too.

Fall Leaves Border 08Fall Leaves Border 08

Every year we have a healthy dinner. We plan it around the South Beach Diet. It is always so good. We use whole wheat bread for our homemade stuffing, sweet potatoes, sugar free jam and things like that. I love not feeling sluggish after I have finished eating. My mom and I worked hard at eliminating as much fat and sugar from our Thanksgiving dinner. Our guests never know the difference.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Angie said...

Such a moving post, Lady Jess. You also encouraged me to think about more healthy recipes for Thanksgiving. Thank you.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great post! We've invited several people over for Thanksgiving - a lady and her son whose husband is deployed, a family that is just moving here and don't know anyone, and afamily that is leaving us. :(
I would love to do a lower in fat and sugar Thanksgiving, but I didn't want them to tell the difference. I might have to try it this year. :D

LinkWithin