Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

Black Friday…it sounds like a dark day in history, but it is actually better known as the day after Thanksgiving when consumers don their comfortable shoes and strap on their pocketbooks to prepare for a full day of power shopping. Parking lots are typically full to overflowing and lines wrap around stores as shoppers prepare to buy gifts for Christmas.

It has been reported that Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year, but with the recent economic shaking our country is taking, I wonder if this year, some will give pause and reconsider buying into this over-hyped marketing ploy.

What does the Bible say about consumerism? In 1 Timothy 6:8, we are told to be content with food and raiment (clothing). Is that all you may ask? Yes. Really consider—are all these must have gifts really necessary? Americans insist they need plasma screen televisions, the latest and greatest electronic toys, and new cars with giant red bows on top, but will that truly buy happiness? Perhaps that is the very reason our country is in this economic pickle.

"Ye cannot serve God and mammom" (money) Matthew 6:24.
Let us purpose to serve God alone as we enter this advent season. With right hearts, we will celebrate Christmas as it was meant to be, not as the world would impose upon us to observe this holiday.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly! There is so much more to life than having "stuff". All the greed that is encouraged on Black Friday is really the opposite of the true meaning of Christmas.

Jacque Dixon said...

Vanessa -I would say greed is much of the cruxt behind these sales. Marketers know that humans will do all they can to get what they want.
I was sad to hear about the man who was killed today at WM when the crowd broke down the doors and ran him over, crushing and killing him. Then, as the EMTs were trying to revive him, they continued to stream into the store to get their much-needed christmas gifts.
That.
Is.
Pathetic.

NO GIFT is worth a man's life - well, except the gift of salvation. and that has already been completed through Christ.
Thank you Sister Angie, for bringing the LORD and the WORD into a(n unnecessary) day that has become such a part of our culture.
blessings,
MrsD

Sisterlisa said...

I saw that article about the man who died. That is so awful. Our town is relatively mild compared to that. Our local stores hired extra security and the Police were at the big stores. The stores had taped off the fronts of the stores and people had to stand in a single file line against the wall with their carts ready.

I go because I get toys for needy children and we're able to pick out what WE want to give. I get mostly educational toys. ;O) Rarely do I pick anything over $20 value.

I honestly didn't see any electronic deals to WOW over. I saw people who had slept in front of Target and I wasn't very impressed with their ads.

As far as I know we had no injuries in our town today. The store workers were all very nice and helpful. I even saw people yielding to traffic with smiles on their faces and customers helping each other in the stores.

Our gift giving agency gives one toy per needy child on our list. The parents I have spoken to have been so grateful for that.

I am blessed to be able to volunteer with such giving people. Their spirits were so kind today!

My heart grieves for that poor man's family in Long Island today.

LinkWithin