Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How to be a Sunflower for the Lord

by Charlene Jamison

How can we be a Sunflower for the Lord? Let us learn this valuable lesson from sunflowers themselves!

Sunflowers (Helianthus Annuus) are plants with a huge flower head. They can grow as tall as ten feet! Their seeds are edible as well. These flowers are usually vividly yellow, sometimes orange and even maroon!

At sunrise, the faces of the sunflowers are turned towards the east. All throughout the day, they follow the sun from east to west. Then they go all the way back to the east direction at night and wait for the sun to rise. This spectacular motion is possible by motor cells in their pulvinus which is a flexible part of the stem just below the bud. This process is called heliotropism.

To grow well, sunflowers need the full sun. They also thrive in fertile and moist soil. Let this be an inspiration for Christians of how we need to be always facing the Son. Let Him always be set before our faces all throughout the day.

"When thou saidst, Seek ye my face: my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek." Psalm 27:8

As Christians, we also need to be planted on good soil. Like the parable of the soils, we need our hearts to be soft and watered by the Word. The roots will grow deeply, and our souls will grow up to many feet tall like sunflowers do! We need the sun to nourish us, and good soil for us to thrive to be amazing sunflowers in Christ!

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2


Charlene is a deaf mom of two boys, one being hard of hearing. Her heart for God shines through her life and she has the 'law of kindness' in her words. She has her Bachelors Degree in Social and Behavioral Sciences, writes for AGMinistries, and you can read more about her at 'Bring on the Rain'.



5 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you Miss Charlene for that great reminder and excellent example! I just love sunflowers and that is so perfect of how we as Christians need to be! Psalm 27:8 is one of my favorite verses, but I had never thought of it in comparison to sunflowers...now when I read that verse, I will have another great picture in my mind on how to apply it!

Blessings!
~Rachel P.~

Growing In Grace Magazine said...

I'll always view the sunflower in a spiritual way now. Thank you so much!

Sherrie said...

So glad to flexible yet strong, with the Son being my source of power daily, weekly, monthly, hourly. Doing His will, rather than mine each day - makes me truly full of the inner joy I crave.
Blessings ~ Sherrie J.

Martha said...

Yet another reason why I love sunflowers <3 good job Charlene!!

LivingforGod said...

Without the Son, we're all just weeds :). Thanks for sharing this, Charlene!

LinkWithin