Saturday, February 28, 2009

Remote Controll: Danger Lurking at The Store

by Lady Jess

I have written about different things in the past, but I think that I should write about the angers of the movie store.

Although there is fun in going to rent a movie for the family, I have been sick over some of the things that I have seen in the movie store. I really dislike ever going into one. 'Adult' content is openly displayed, horror movie posters are on the walls and awful video games about killing and
immorality are being played.

Every time I end up going to a movie store, I feel like there's darkness all around me and I have to look at the carpet to avoid seeing anything that I shouldn't. As Christians, we should be a light in this dark world.

The Bible says in Psalm 101:3 "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes:
I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

If a man walks into the movie store and sees a woman on the cover of a movie posing in a sensual way, what do you think is in his mind?

Matthew 5:28 "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

If God has not given us the spirit of fear, who do you think has? Why would you want to watch a movie or look at something that will cause you to have fear?

II Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Please, fellow Christians, we need to think twice before we walk into a movie store. We could call ahead and have them hold the movie at the front desk and wait for you so you don't have to walk through the store. Consider trying Netflix instead and parents can make the selection without exposing children to what is at their eye level in the movie stores. Maybe you could just stop renting movies all together or borrow one from a trusted friend. We need to be a godly example of Christian ladies and beholding such things brings a snare to our souls.

Lady Jess is a teen lady who is homeschooled along with her siblings. She assists her mother in teaching her younger siblings, is an interpreter in her church's deaf ministry, sings in two local choirs, and is in training to be a homeschooling parent herself one day.

3 comments:

Sisterlisa said...

I am praising God that my husband canceled the video store subscription. I hated going in there. :P

Karen @dixielandcrafts said...

That is Exactly How I have felt going in there. I felt dirty & ashamed. Thank you for writing such a wonderful post. Your words were so inspiring!

Shannon said...

I completely agree! We hardly go in one anymore, and if one of us does we make sure we don't have any of the children with us. Just being in there gives me a nauseous feeling.
I think we're going to try Netflix.
Thank you for sharing your heart, and the Scriptures in this post!

Blessings,
Shannon @ Song of My Heart

LinkWithin