Just about a month or so ago I was able to begin interpreting for the deaf on Sunday mornings in my church. My mom has been signing for almost 14 years now and has taught us a lot of sign language. She is going to be teaching a class of sign language in our church's adult Bible Institute in just a few weeks. So far I only interpret the song, 'Amazing Grace' at the close of the service, but I am praying about signing the announcements on Wednesday evenings too.My mom volunteered for us to interpret the children's stories at the library this year and we're looking forward to that. One thing I want to say is that God did not give me the ability to sign just for entertaining myself , but to reach the lost deaf in our community.

When God separated the people at The Tower of Babel he confused their languages. People had to find one another and regroup with their own people. This must have made it very difficult to communicate with people from other lands. The Bible has many passages where he talks about interpretors of languages. Not everyone has the ability to learn another language well. Exodus 4:11, "And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? " The Lord has made the deaf, yet not all deaf understand God's Word. We feel strongly about allowing God to use our gift of sign language to reach the lost deaf of our community.
Do you have knowledge of another language that God can use in your life to reach the lost of your town? I have known many people who have attempted to learn sign language and yet struggle with it. I personally believe that my ability to sign was given to me as a gift from the Lord. 1 Corinthians talks of interpretors and although there are differing opinions on what those passages are referring to, I do believe that my gift of interpreting falls under those blessings of God. It would be a waste for me to have this gift and not use it to teach the deaf about the Lord.
Pray about how god can use you to reach the lost of your town with the language that you know. Do you know Spanish, Japanese, or Korean? Pray about how god can use you to reach someone for His Kingdom's sake.


3 comments:
At our Church, we have earphones and interpreters (Spanish) for those that will use them. Signing is another form of interpretation.
Thanks for sharing,
grandmastarr
What a wonderful service and ministry, Miss Monica. I would love to see you signing Amazing Grace. I know Olivia would too!
Sisterlisa, and Miss Monica June,
Because The Lord has let our family participate in local-area evangelism, through our congregation of believers, I have seen The Lord arrange for me to knock on the door of families who are Hispanic. I know enough Spanish to show them that I care, and want to tell them several things. But I do need to learn more phrases used in personal evangelism, among Hispanic people, living in the U.S. Thank you for your reminder, to pray that God will use us to reach people who speak other languages! It proves that studying Spanish while in "school," years ago, is paying off in reaching souls for Yeshua the Messiah!
Kathy
http://helpnotes.blogspot.com
Post a Comment